Armed with only a high school diploma, I embarked on a new career at forty-nine. My choice was foodservice; eventhough I had almost no experience in the field.
My plan was to attend classes at the local community college; and get an Associate degree in Restaurant Management while working in the industry. I was filled with trepidation at first, because it had been thirty years since I attended school.
Although it was trying at times, I did manage to survive that first semester. Soon I begin to enjoy my time at school, and my time at work. This seemed to be my calling.
While working, I found myself performing various tasks: serving, catering, cooking, baking,etc. As a result, production became more fascinating to me. This led me to culinary arts. Finally, I received my Bachelor degree ten years after first going back to school.
- Bachelor of Science, magna cum laude, Restaurant and Food Service Management, Texas A&M University-Kingsville, Kingsville, Texas, August 13, 1999.
- Associate in Applied Science, cum laude, Culinary Arts, Del Mar College, Corpus Christi, Texas, May 12, 1995.
- Associate in Applied Science, Restaurant Management, Del Mar College,Corpus Christi, Texas August 25, 1991.
- Del Mar College STRA Advisors Award (Student Chapter of Texas Restaurant Association)
- Del Mar College Restaurant Management Hall of Excellence 1990.
- Gold Medal at the Del Mar College Hall of Excellence Culinary Arts Salon May 4, 1994.
- Who's Who Among Students in American Junior Colleges 1990-91
- Who's Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges 1996-97.